Monday, August 9, 2010

Why I Hate Jenn-Air

Alright, I have taken the plunge and joined the millions out there recounting their experiences online.  My maiden voyage is a tale born of my hate/hate relationship with my stove. 

Five years ago I finally was able to rebuild my kitchen into something resembling a useful space, and after consulting Consumer Reports (a topic for another time) I purchased a Jenn-Air stove, or "gas range" as they are known in the trade.  Shortly after I bought it, I decided to self-clean it.  I read all the instructions, set the stove to clean, and sat down on my sofa to read, and was interruped by a WHUMPF!!!! from the kitchen, where I discovered to my chagrin that the glass window in the door of my brand-new oven had exploded.  It took a month and a half to get new glass installed. 

Fast forward to present day -- a dear friend got engaged, and I was happy to offer to make the wedding pastry, in this case, three different cupcakes and two flavors of brownies.  My Jenn-Air, apparently miffed at not being consulted ahead of time, proceeded to refuse to comply with my requests to set an oven temp, responding to each beseeching request with a sullen *beeep beeeep* and a scrolled message "F1-8 -- call service center."  So I called.  An appointment was set for August 9, some time between 12 and 5 p.m., and a lovely woman at the service center arranged to put a rush on the parts so they could arrive in time for the service person.  Aha, I thought, the last time was just an unfortunate happenstance, Jenn-Air and its parent Maytag really DO have their act together, the stove will get repaired, the cupcakes will get made, we'll all live happilly ever after! 

August 9 arrived.  I arranged to work from home, so that I could be handy for the repair person.  As promised by the lovely woman at the service center, the parts arrived (and, btw, thank you FedEx, you were splendid!)  All was in readiness. 

And then....

At @ 4:30, I received a call from someone at the service center, informing me that they would NOT be coming today.  So sorry.  Not our fault.  We're not responsible.  The technicians get overbooked all the time, but it's not our fault.  We're sorry for the inconvenience. 

Never mind that I can't disappoint the bride by not producing the promised baked delights.  Never mind that I had to spend time waiting.  Never mind that you committed to provide a service -- not our fault, we don't have time, you'll just have to understand, we'll come tomorrow.   So, now we wait.  I'll update you tomorrow on the further misadventures of me and my miserable stove. 

No comments:

Post a Comment